(1) preserving and curating qualified archaeological collections and records,
(2) facilitating research for professionals and training students in archaeology,
(3) service to the state of Georgia.
The Laboratory is part of the University of Georgia, Department of Anthropology, which has the only Ph.D. program in anthropology with a focus in archaeology in the state of Georgia. Click here for history of the Laboratory. As the flagship institution in the state, the University of Georgia’s Laboratory of Archaeology produces significant scholarly work on the history of Georgia’s people. This research has appeared in the top journals and university presses in the world. Faculty and staff at the Laboratory have produced works that enrich not only scholarly understanding but also public awareness of the deep histories of Georgia—some 14,000 years.
Exceeding the Standard
The Laboratory of Archaeology meets Federal standards (36CFR79 and Antiquities Act of 1906) for archaeological curation and is compliant with all state and federal laws. The Laboratory of Archaeology also adheres to standard curation guidelines established by the Georgia Council of Professional Archaeologists as well as standards of all state and federal agencies.
Preserving Georgia's Past
The Laboratory also works in concert with the Georgia Museum of Natural History, which holds one of the largest museum collections associated with a university in the United States. In addition, the Laboratory of Archaeology is home to the Georgia Archaeological Site File (GASF). Currently, there are over 60,000 archaeological sites recorded in Georgia. The site file curates the site forms and CRM reports (over 13,500) that contain information about these archaeological sites including cultural periods and information relating to the National Register of Historic Places.